I Think My Cat Has Been Poisoned

I Think My Cat Has Been Poisoned – Want to master your cat’s first aid? Read this blog post, which summarizes some of Defense Vet Vanessa Howie’s responses to our recent Facebook First Aid Quiz.

When winter comes, what are the main symptoms of antifreeze poisoning to look out for and can we do anything to stop the damage before the animal is put to sleep?

I Think My Cat Has Been Poisoned

Antifreeze poisoning usually leads to kidney failure. Signs to watch for include increased urination, increased drinking, vomiting, depression, lethargy (being unusually sleepy), appearing drunk and uncoordinated, seizures (responses), extremely fast heartbeats, and very fast, shallow breathing. If antifreeze poisoning is suspected, the sooner you get your cat to the vet to give him intravenous fluids to try to help the kidneys, the better his chances of survival. Unfortunately, if left untreated it will suffer and die.

Poisonous Foods For Cats

My cat has a small cut on his head, should I leave it uncovered or cover it with something?

I would recommend having your cat checked by a vet if you are concerned about the cut.

Usually, in , we tend to leave small wounds like those seen from fights or cat bite abscesses open. This allows them to drain and makes it easier for you to keep the wound clean. they don’t usually assume clothes would be that good either!

My cat has recently developed a very runny nose and watery eyes. Can you suggest what could be the cause? She seems fine in herself.

What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Rat Poison?

I would recommend getting your cat examined by the vet if you haven’t already.

A runny nose indicates some kind of infection and your cat may need antibiotics. Your cat may have the flu or if your cat has had cat flu in the past, this may have caused some damage to the nose and allowed illness to begin. A discharge from the eyes and nose is often seen in people who have or have had cat flu. Also take a look at our leaflet on cat flu. There may be other less common causes such as polyps or tumors in the nose that can cause similar symptoms.

Please note that we cannot provide specific advice on your cat’s health or any observed behavioral changes. For medical problems contact your vet who has access to your cat’s medical history and will be able to examine them.

Do you want to ask one of the Norwegian Armed Forces’ cat experts a question about your cat? Don’t miss the next live Q&A sessions on Facebook: Neuter Manager Jane Clements will answer questions on December 3; and presenter Nicky Trevorrow gives advice on 17 December. Our questions and answers will be on the national defense Facebook page at 14-15. See you there! Wave! Walking service Walking Get the steps in Wag! Drop-Ins Service Short walk home Wag! Sitting service Sitting In your home Wag! Boarding in the Caregiver’s home Wag! Education service Education 1-on-1 session Wag! Premium Wag Service! Save Premium 10%+

Why Is My Cat Vomiting White Foam?

Wave! Wellness service Animal insurance Wag! WellnessWag Plans! Wellness Plans Wag! Veterinary Chat ServiceVet Chat Wag! Premium Wag Service! Save Premium 10%+

Cats are curious and quick critics; Unfortunately, sometimes their eagerness to explore can get them into trouble with their gardening habits. Cat poisoning is not uncommon and can happen in your own home, but knowing which everyday items pose a risk and how to recognize the signs of cat poisoning will help you keep your friend happy and healthy. .

Let’s take a look at the signs that your cat may have been exposed to something harmful, and what you can do to help them if the unexpected happens.

In addition to eating toxic substances directly, cats can become poisoned by ingesting a toxin, taking it in through their skin (especially their paws), grooming soiled fur, or eating poisoned prey. Symptoms of cat poisoning can vary depending on the toxin ingested and include:

Houseplants You Should Keep Away From Your Cat

A cat that has been poisoned can show a variety of symptoms, as some poisons affect more than one body system.

Several household items can be harmful to our feline friends. Some are more obvious, like antifreeze, and others, like lilies, which can be a surprise to many cat parents. The following everyday items can lead to poisoning in cats:

A number of products that are often kept around the house, especially in the garage or garden, are toxic to cats. These include bleaches, disinfectants, cleaning liquids, detergents, weed killers, insecticides, rodenticides, hair dyes, nail polish, paint, varnish, white spirit, furniture and metal polish, mothballs and antifreeze. Antifreeze usually contains ethylene glycol or methanol, and ingestion of even the smallest amount can cause kidney failure and death.

Over-the-counter pain relievers such as paracetamol, ibuprofen and aspirin should never be given to cats. Cats are very sensitive to these medications and just one tablet can lead to serious liver damage and even death. Symptoms of poisoning include swelling of the face and paws, pale blue gums, difficulty breathing, vomiting and dark urine.

Poisoning In Cats

Many plants are dangerous to felines and lilies are particularly deadly. All parts of the lily plant are toxic to cats, including the stamens, bulbs, flowers, leaves and pollen. Cats can be poisoned by chewing on the plant or even by brushing against it and then licking the pollen off their fur. Lilies can cause kidney failure, and a cat can become lethargic or start passing out within minutes of eating any part of the plant.

Many flea treatments for dogs contain permethrin, which is tolerated by dogs but highly toxic to felines. Cats can become poisoned when accidentally treated with such products or when transporting other animals that have been treated with it. Signs that a cat has been poisoned by flea products include excessive drooling, increased thirst, convulsions and a high temperature.

Certain human foods such as chocolate, grapes, raisins, onions and garlic should never be fed to cats. Chocolate, grapes, and raisins can cause excessive thirst, vomiting, and diarrhea, while onions and garlic can lead to anemia, abdominal discomfort, and lethargy.

Many of us use essential oils to improve our health. However, most of them are toxic to cats, especially if not diluted. Essential oils that you want to keep out of your cat’s reach include, but are not limited to, citrus oil, peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, sweet birch oil, cinnamon oil, tea tree oil, and ylang ylang oil. Essential oils can cause respiratory distress, liver failure, seizures and even death in cats.

Pet Poisons And What To Look Out For

An online search will reveal several home remedies for pet poisoning. You may have read that milk neutralizes all toxins, or that oil or butter helps pass through toxic substances. These home remedies are not only ineffective, but they can also make things worse. Most cats are lactose intolerant, and oil and butter can trigger pancreatitis.

Supportive care is usually required until the poison is metabolized and eliminated. This can take the form of maintaining breathing, treating panic, controlling seizures, regulating heart rate or treating pain. Not all poisons have a known antidote.

Cats are sometimes less likely to recover from poisoning than dogs due to their small size, inability to break down certain chemicals, and tendency to hide so that the illness is not always obvious. However, in many cases, early treatment can help a cat recover from poisoning. Time is of the essence – the sooner your cat gets medical attention, the less time the poison has to work its way through their system, and the better the chances of recovery.

Different poisons affect cats differently, so it can take anywhere from minutes or hours to days for a cat to show signs of poisoning. For example, lily leaves will make a cat sick immediately, while painkillers can take two or three days before symptoms appear. There are three stages of antifreeze poisoning, including one where symptoms appear to improve but internal damage still occurs.

The Mystery Of The Wasting House Cats

Therefore, even if you suspect that your cat has been poisoned and they seem fine, it is important to seek immediate veterinary attention. Don’t wait until symptoms appear because then it may be too late.

Keep your marine friend safe by making sure all potentially dangerous items in the house are stored in sealed containers and out of reach. Cat poisoning is preventable, and prevention is always better than an emergency vet visit.

Do you have more questions about poisons in cats? Talk to a vet today to find out what to look out for and how you can protect your precious cat!

Read more in Wag! appFive stars Five stars Five stars Five stars Five stars 43k+ reviews Install We use cookies to do good. By using our website, you agree to our cookie policy.Cookie settings

Keeping Cats Safe: Permethrin

This article was co-authored by Melissa Nelson, DVM, PhD. Dr. Nelson is a veterinarian specializing in companion and large animal medicine in Minnesota, where she has over 18 years of experience as a rural clinic veterinarian. She received her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from

How do i know if my cat has been poisoned, how to tell if my cat has been poisoned, signs my dog has been poisoned, i think my cat has been poisoned, signs my cat has been poisoned, my dog has been poisoned, dog has been poisoned, how can i tell if my cat has been poisoned, i think my dog has been poisoned, signs your cat has been poisoned, signs cat has been poisoned, has my cat been poisoned